TELETRONIX LA-2A LEVELING AMPLIFIER
The Teletronix LA-2A leveling amplifier is legendary and arguably the best sounding compressor made in the USA. You’ve heard it on countless hit records.
The LA-2A Leveling Amplifier is an audio compressor invented by James F. Lawrence II, founder of the Teletronix Engineering Company in Pasadena, California in the early 1960s.
For over 50 years the Teletronix LA-2A has been revered for its smooth, natural, musical compression. With its unique tube-driven electro-optical attenuator system that allows instantaneous gain reduction with no increase in harmonic distortion, the LA-2A add character to the signals like no other compressor ever made.
The LA-2A Leveling Amplifier has only a single gain stage and is one of the simplest compressors to operate with only two simple knobs: Gain and Peak Reduction. The fact that it offers 40 dB of gain from input to output allows it to also be used as a preamp and compressor.
Today, the Universal Audio LA-2A is crafted to original specifications in Scotts Valley, California, hand wired point-to-point, with every component carefully selected for authenticity.
- Input impedance: 50, 150, 250, 600 ohms
- Output load impedance: 50, 150, 250, 600 ohms
- External connections: Jones Barrier terminals and XLR connectors
- Frequency response: +0/-1 dB 30 Hz to 15kHz
- Gain: 40 dB ±1dB
- Input level: +16 dB maximum
- Output level: +10 dB nominal, +16 dB maximum
- Distortion: Less than 0.5% THD (0.25% typical) at ±10 dBm
- Noise: 70 dB below +10 dBm output level
- Attack time: 10 milliseconds
- Release time: 0.06 seconds for 50% release; 0.5 to 5 seconds for complete release
- Meter: dB gain reduction and dB output
- Power requirements: 35 watts, 120/240 volts, 50/60Hz
- Weight: 13 lbs.
Dial-in legendary optical tube compression textures for vocals, bass, drums, and more
Some vst Emulation of this legendary compressor:
1 Teletronix-LA-2A collection by Universal Audio
2 CLA-2A Compressor / Limiter by Waves
3 CA-2A T-Type Leveling Amplifier by Cakewalk