Roland announces the SH-01A Synthesizer, a new addition to the Roland Boutique electronic instrument lineup. The SH-01A is a compact reproduction of the Roland SH-101, one of the most popular analog synthesizers from the 1980s.
Building on the iconic sounds and creative immediacy of the original, the SH-01A offers exciting new polyphonic capabilities, inspiring new performance features, and a level of authenticity that could only come from Roland.
In comparison with more complex instruments available at the time, the SH-101 was a seemingly unremarkable monophonic synthesizer when first launched in 1982. However, it quickly became prized for its rich, musical sound and simple-to-program synth structure.
Legions of artists found it quick and easy to create fat basses, edgy leads, and exciting sound effects with the SH-101, and these hallmark sounds continue to be revered by electronic musicians over 30 years later.
The SH-01A re-creates the oscillator, filter, and envelope behaviors of the vintage SH-101 with extreme accuracy. Roland’s Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology fully realizes all the sonic details and quirks of the SH-101, modeling each analog circuit right down to the component level. And though scaled-down in size, the panel interface offers all the hands-on controls found on the original hardware.
Expanding on the SH-101’s huge monophonic voice, the SH-01A supports four voices and four modes for more sound-creation possibilities. Mono mode produces the classic SH-101 sound, while Poly mode allows four notes to be played simultaneously, making SH-101 sounds available for pads and other chordal work.
Unison mode stacks four voices for super fat basses and leads, and Chord mode layers any four pitches together for playing in semitone steps. The SH-01A also offers 64 patch memories for storing sounds, a feature not available on the SH-101.
The SH-01A is equipped with an intuitive 100-step sequencer like the one found on the SH-101, but now adds the ability to save and recall 64 sequence patterns for any performance situation. The sequencer can also be used to control modular synths, hardware modules, and software plug-ins via CV/Gate, MIDI, and USB.
- Sounds of the classic SH-101 synthesizer via ACB tech, including bass, lead, noise, and sound effects
- New Unison, Chord, and four-voice Polyphonic modes expand on the original’s iconic sound palette
- Built-in sequencer with 64 patterns available to save and recall
- Easy performance arpeggiator with three playback modes, note hold, and three-way transpose switch
- CV/Gate output for controlling modular or vintage gear
- Multiple sync options including internal and external MIDI, MIDI via USB, LFO clock, and trigger input
- 64 writeable preset patches for increased performance capabilities
- Selectable advanced LFO with new waveforms and extended range of clock rate
- Sends and receives MIDI control change messages via traditional MIDI jacks or USB
- High-quality construction with metal front panel
- Highly portable for mobile music making
- Battery-operated (4 x AA) or USB powered
- Compatible with the K-25m Keyboard Unit and other optional Roland Boutique accessories
- Available in limited-edition red and blue colors like the original SH-101
More Info: Roland SH-01A
About Roland Corporation
Roland Corporation is a leading manufacturer and distributor of electronic musical instruments, including keyboards and synthesizers, guitar products, electronic percussion, amplifiers, audio and recording products, vocal products and professional audio and video products. With more than 40 years of musical instrument development, Roland sets the standard in music technology for the world to follow.