All free EQ vst plugins shown here are available for both Windows and Mac users.
1 Classic T-RackS Equalizer by IK Multimedia
No Doubt T-Racks Classic EQ once premium now absolutely free is the best sounding free parametric EQ I have ever heard.
This Classic Equalizer is Analog modeled EQ with six flexible bands and M/S Processing perfect for high-end performance in mastering environments. The design of this EQ filter can come in large scale from the border as “air” to the end, “sub” in the low-end or “approach” that mid-term with a mixture of beautiful smooth music applications and creative for the result.
The equalizer comprises the following bands:
- 4th-order high-pass filter, from 16 Hz to 5.3 kHz
- Low-shelving type filter, from 30 Hz to 200 Hz
- Low-mid peaking type filter, from 33 Hz to 5.4 kHz, variable Q
- High-mid peaking type filter, from 200 Hz to 17.5 kHz, variable Q
- High-shelving type filter, from 750 Hz to 8.5 kHz
- 4th order Low-pass filter, from 200 Hz to 18 kHz
2 PTEq-X by Ignite Amps
PTEq-X is an emulation of 3 famous vintage passive program equalizers: Pultec MEQ-5 Midrange Equalizer, Pultec EQP-1A, and Pultec HLF-3C.
PTEq-X mimics all the characteristics of the original hardware, plus some circuit improvements and additional features to increase its versatility.
Each component of the signal path of the true analog circuits are considered and modeled in the best way matches the original sound, which makes processor performance and real-time play at the same time.PTEq-X is intended to be used as a monitor equalization studio, mixing and mastering the interior of hosts that are capable of supporting VST/AU plug-ins.
TDR VOS SlickEQ is a mixing/mastering equalizer designed for ease of use, musical flexibility and impeccable sound. SlickEQ is a collaborative project by Variety of Sound (Herbert Goldberg) and Tokyo Dawn Labs (Vladislav Goncharov and Fabien Schivre).
Three (and a half) filter-bands arranged in a classic Low/Mid/High semi-parametric layout offer fast and intuitive access to four distinct EQ modes, each representing a set of distinct EQ curves and behaviors. An elaborate auto gain option automatically compensates for changes in perceived loudness during EQ operation. Optionally, SlickEQ allows to exclusively process either the stereo sum or stereo difference (i.e. “stereo width”) without additional sum/difference encoding.
In order to warm up the material with additional harmonic content, SlickEQ offers a switchable EQ non-linearity and an output stage with 4 different saturation models. These options are meant to offer subtle and interesting textures, rather than obvious distortion. The effect is made to add the typical “mojo” often associated with classy audio gear.
An advanced 64bit multi-rate processing structure practically eliminates typical problems of digital EQ implementations such as frequency warping, quantization distortion, and aliasing.
Besides the primary controls, the plug-in comes with an array of additional helpers: Advanced preset management, undo/redo, quick A/B comparison, copy & paste, an online help, editable labels, mouse-wheel support and much more.
Key specs and features
- Intuitive, yet flexible semi-parametric EQ layout
- Modern user interface with outstanding usability and ergonomics
- Carefully designed 64bit “delta” multi-rate structure
- Three EQ bands with additional 18dB/Oct high-pass filter
- Four distinct EQ models: “American”, “British”, “German” and “Soviet” with optional non-linearity
- Five output stages: “Linear”, “Silky”, “Mellow”, “Deep” and “Toasted”
- Advanced saturation algorithms by VoS (“Stateful saturation”)
- Highly effective and musically pleasing loudness compensated auto gain control
- Stereo and sum/difference processing options
- Tool-bar with undo/redo, A/B, advanced preset management and more.
4 SonEQ Free by Sonimus
SonEQ is a digital equalizer that takes parts from some vintage gear and combines them in one. SonEQ has 3 bands, bass, middle and treble. Also, SonEQ has a pre-amp section.
SonEQ provides musical tonal control with a number of unique curves available. SonEQ is intended for gentle sculpting of sound, not precise surgical correction as one obtains using a parametric EQ. Although frequency and gain values are shown on the SonEQ controls.
5 Overtone GEQ by Voxengo
Overtone GEQ is 7-band harmonic (overtone) graphic equalizer AU and VST plugin with multi-channel operation support (supporting up to 8 input/output channels, host setup-dependent). Overtone GEQ offers extensive internal channel routing capabilities and supports mid/side channel processing.
Beside equalizing, Overtone GEQ applies harmonic enhancement processing: it uses 7 harmonic enhancement modules, one for each EQ band. This generates a complex harmonic coloration you will probably like a lot.
Overtone GEQ was designed to allow audio engineers to apply quick EQ shape adjustments together with adding a bit of harmonic richness to the audio material (mainly mixes and sub-mixes due to a comparably high processing load this EQ puts on a CPU).
6 Marvel GEQ by Voxengo
Marvel GEQ is a linear-phase 16-band graphic equalizer AAX, AU and VST plugin with multi-channel operation support (supporting up to 8 input/output channels, audio host application-dependent) for professional music production applications. Marvel GEQ offers extensive internal channel routing capabilities and supports mid/side channel processing.
Marvel GEQ allows audio engineers and musicians to apply quick EQ shape adjustments, both to audio tracks and full mixes. The linear-phase filtering offered by Marvel GEQ is suitable for equalization tasks where high quality and excellent sonic character are a must.
7 BASIQ by Kuassa
BasiQ is an acronym for Baxandall Simulation Equalizer, a free 3-band equalizer vst plugin with photorealistic graphics from Kuassa. As the name implies, the engine is modeled after the design of the classic Baxandall Equalizer, well known for its smooth shelves and natural-sounding response, similar to the tone control of hi-fi systems. The simple controls allow you to shape your source material appropriately and concisely, opening up air, applying shimmer, or giving an extra oomph to the low end where needed.
This straightforward equalizer is well-suited for both mixing and mastering purposes, though the neutral characteristic of basiQ lends itself as more of a sweetening device or to give a transparent tilt to your mixes, rather than surgical frequency correction.
8 SplineEQ FREE by Photosounder
SplineEQ FREE is a linear phase equalizer plugin. Designed to be simple and flexible, SplineEQ FREE allows you to create filters using Bézier splines, the best-known way to design curves.
- Linear phase equalizer. Offers a better sound quality than the more common minimum phase equalizers by not affecting the phase of sound, only the intensity of frequencies, which makes it easier to achieve good sounding results. Also, has the advantage of not incurring aliasing artifacts.
- Spline-based filter design. Filters are simply created by designing a spline curve which can be made to adopt any imaginable shape. No filter types to choose from, all points simply define part of the shape of the filter’s spline curve. The actual filter’s frequency profile is displayed as a dashed curve when it differs from the ideal spline curve (this can be changed by changing the filter’s resolution).
- Up to 4 bands or as low as 1. You can create or disable bands by double clicking on the visualization area of the interface and adjust them either in that area or use the knobs or even the automatable parameter sliders in the host’s interface.
- Simple curve modification functions. You can modify the curve as a whole using the transpose function to shift the curve up and down by up to 10 octaves, affect the overall gain to shift all gain settings up or down evenly or even change the gain scale to apply a ratio to all gains, thus enabling you to either flatten, exaggerate or reverse the shape of a curve.
- Frequency analyzer. More intuitive than your usual logarithmic curve frequency display, this frequency analyzer shows you the intensity of frequencies before and after the filtering with colors. It’s also fine tuned so that intensities at different frequencies are represented in a way that matches closely to our perception. It moves in a fluid manner in sync with the source sound and has a frequency resolution of about 10 Hz.
- Smooth and fluid graphics. The whole interface responds fluidly to change, even the frequency visualization has a great frame rate and all the graphics are perfectly anti-aliased.
- -Infinite dB to +60 dB gain range. This allows you to completely silence entire ranges of the spectrum or to really bring back some fainter harmonics by boosting their amplitude thousandfold. Gains are represented logarithmically between -60 dB and +60 dB and linearly below -60 dB. Given the uniquely immense gain range, there’s also a built-in limiter whose knob lights up when over the adjustable threshold. You can also zoom into as low as ±3 dB.
- Smooth transitions. Changing parameters, either by adjusting the knobs, the graph or by parameter automation is always done smoothly and creates no audio artifacts.
- Adjustable resolution, latency and CPU usage. The resolution of the filter can be lowered or increased (up to roughly 22 Hz) and the processing latency can be changed to obtain a lower CPU usage or a lower latency.
- Good performance. Linear phase equalizers always require more power than other types of equalizers. However SplineEQ FREE is as fast or faster than other linear phase equalizers, often with less latency.
- Also, supports all sampling rates (384 kHz included), is available on both Windows and Mac, in VST (2.4) and AU format, in 32 and 64 bits. All input, output, and processing are done in 64-bit floating point format and in stereo.
9 Q3D by VOLKO AUDIO
At Volko Audio, they did the excellent job emulating the NTI monster. This 6 band eq has an extremely wide Q. One of the bands is AIR that is a hi shelf filter. You can change the AIR frequency and boost. It has a modern, easy-to-use user interface. In the past, it has been used for very famous recordings and generally for Vocals. The Q3D equalizer plug-in is highly optimized to keep your CPU under low stress, while still maintaining top quality sound output.
You can use as many instances as you like, because of its CPU friendliness, definitely worth using in your productions. Q3D 6 band equalizer plug-in supports VST, VST3, AU and AAX plugin formats, for both Windows and Mac Users.
10 EQ1A by Mellowuse
EQ1A is a super smooth, analog style free vst equalizer plug-in, with minimal phase coloration. It features a high pass filter with variable Q, frequency sweepable low and high shelf filters, and sweepable low and high peak filters with variable Q. A bypass switch is available in each filter section for increased flexibility.
The interface takes it’s inspiration from classic outboard eqs, with all controls in easy reach. The CPU efficient design allows high instance counts, making it a versatile EQ for all tasks.